- August 24 Independent arrivals
- August 25 4:00pm Parsifal (Semyon Bychkov)
- August 26 6:00pm Der fliegende Holländer (Axel Kober)
- August 27 4:00pm Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (Philippe Jordan)
- August 28 4:00pm Tristan und Isolde (Christian Thielemann)
- August 29 Departure or
- Optional with an added night’s stay:
- 30th 4:00pm Die Walküre (conductor: Plácido Domingo)
- Optional with an added night’s stay:
Accommodation is at the Hotel Arvena Kongress (www.arvena-kongress.de), with air-conditioned comfortable spacious rooms and providing all the amenities and dining expected in a full service hotel. This is a favorite choice for the many Wagner a cionados, with breakfast and lunch included.
There is an opportunity to upgrade to the Hotel Goldener Anker (www.anker-bayreuth.de), located in the center of the historic district and featuring 250 year old traditional architecture with timeless elegantly styled bedrooms and suites. The intimate excellent restaurant dates from 1927 and its 13th generation of family owners guarantees a special stay.
Private taxi transfers from/to the hotels will be included for our party on performance days.
Friday, August 24
Independent arrivals in Bayreuth.
In the evening we meet our host and companions for a Welcome Dinner in the Arvena Kongress’ excellent restaurant.
Saturday, August 25
This morning, following your daily inclusive breakfast, we will meet a local guide for an introductory walking tour of Bayreuth Old Town with lunch at Restaurant Eule, returning in time to refresh before transfering to the 4pm performance of Parsifal. Dining this evening is independent during the two hour-long intermissions.
Sunday, August 26
The day is at leisure.
At 5pm the party transfers to the Festspielhaus for the 6pm staging of Der fliegende Holländer. After the performance we gather in the Steigenberger Restaurant with members of the worldwide Wagner Society members and Friends of Bayreuth for a Gala dinner with invited artists and guests.
Monday, August 27
This morning and lunchtime is independent.
Mid-afternoon we transfer to the Festspielhaus for the 4pm Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg. Dinner this evening is independent during the intermissions.
Tuesday, August 28
Meet in the lobby of the Arvena Kongress after breakfast to walk to Villa Wahnfried and the Wagner Museum. Goldener Anker guests may wait at the hotel and join the group en route to the museum. After the visit and a co ee break in the café, consider a visit to the excellent nearby Franz Liszt Museum or Jean Paul Museum, showcasing the life and works of the noted German Romantic writer.
We again transfer to the Festspielhaus for Tristan und Isolde, starting at 4pm. We celebrate the end of our time together with intermission dining at the exceptional Walhall Lounge, perfectly located near the Festspielhaus.
Wednesday, August 29
Independent departures with airport car services coordinated upon request. Optional one day extension to attend the 4pm Die Walküre (pre-ordered tickets only) with transfers on the Arvena Kongress’ private coach.
Thursday, August 30
Independent departures with airport car services coordinated upon request.
Please note that there are no titles in the Festspielhaus and should you be unfamiliar with the Wagner operas, you are encouraged to read libretti for the operas before leaving for the trip, and bring them to Bayreuth to enhance your enjoyment.
- Five nights Arvena Kongress Hotel
- Breakfast and lunch included daily
- Stalls seating for four operas
- Welcome dinner
- Gala Wagner Society dinner post-Der fliegende Holländer
- Group lunch and Farewell Dinner
- Morning guided walking sightseeing tour
- Visit to Wahnfried and the new Wagner museum
- Private taxi transfers to/from festival performances
- Gratuities for guides and drivers
- Escorted by an Act 1 Tours’ host throughout
- Airport transfers to/from Bayreuth hotels (may be arranged on request)
- Meals and personal expenses outside the itinerary
For the core 5-night program, the rate per person is:
• $8,250 per person double occupancy
• $8,950 per person with single occupancy
Contact Act 1 Tours for further details and rates.
- Upgrade to Hotel Goldener Anker
- Optional Aug 29 performance of Die Walküre (requires additional hotel night)
Due to our contractual commitments, the cost of the program is non-refundable at registration and we therefore recommend trip insurance to protect the costs of the trip (see below).
A deposit of $3,500 per person is due at registration, with the balance due by March 15, 2018. Payment is due in full if registering after that date.
Trip insurance is strongly advised to avoid financial loss should the need to cancel arise for insurable reasons. Act 1 Tours can arrange this coverage on your behalf and, with certain policies pre-existing medical conditions may be waived provided coverage is purchased within 15 days of the initial deposit. Act 1 Tours can advise on this coverage with AIG Travel Guard and arrange policies on each guest’s behalf.